This country profile provides an overview of Gambia’s progress in reaching those in need of mass NTD treatment based on 2016 data.
NTD mass treatment coverage index: 8/100
Overall rank: 31st
These recommendations were given to heads of state at the African Union summit in January 2017 as part of the ALMA Scorecard for Accountability and Action.
- Given the good coverage achieved in soil-transmitted helminths (STH) preventive chemotherapy (PC), implement PC for schistosomiasis alongside STH, at least for school-aged children.
- Support the development of the elimination dossier to achieve WHO recognition of achievements in trachoma elimination.
- Reconfirm trachoma prevalence, whilst continuing to deliver surgery as part of the SAFE strategy.
- Increase budget allocation for neglected tropical diseases at the national level.
- Provide timely data to the Expanded Special Project for Elimination of Neglected Tropical Diseases (ESPEN) to enable monitoring and planning.
Gambia does not require mass treatment for lymphatic filariasis.
Gambia does not require mass treatment for onchocerciasis.
Treatment coverage remained the same at 0% in 2015 and 2016.
⬆️ Treatment coverage increased from 0% in 2015 to 47% in 2016.
Treatment coverage was 100% in 2016.